Pagan Forum code for joining: Home Sweet Home

How did I get to this point in my life

This forum is for other earth-based Pagan paths. For example, Druidry, Shamanism, Spirit Guides, Shapeshifting, Popular Culture etc.
gwydion
Poudretteite
Poudretteite
How did I get to this point in my life

Post by gwydion »

A rather grand question for a title but a rhetorical one - even I am not entirely sure of how the twists and turns in my search for a suitable pathway led me to where I am now - a Druid following a strong Celtic pagan ethic.

This first post will be a patchwork but may lead to other branching but allied concepts.

After a lifetime of regular and deep non-Conformist Christian involvement I eventually came to the conclusion that despite my lengthy history I had always been plagued with an irritating feeling of incongruity or dissatisfaction in some of the ways concepts were taught and followed.

Thankfully, I am very fond of an old quotation (origin unknown and paraphrased here) - I don't agree with what they believe but I will fight for their right to believe it - and furthermore have been brought up as a child to have a simple tolerance to other people. It is because of this that I have no axe to grind about my earlier path other than to be concerned when I discover obvious anomalies in so called facts.

Because of early historical diverging developments in modes of communication, we don't have the evidence to say without a doubt how people's spiritual activities were carried through - opinions can be given and interpretations made but when honestly viewed, consideration must be allowed for human failings at all levels - notably imperfections in copying, translation and at every level a compulsion to interfere with or control our neighbour, besides the natural or wilful destruction of materials and artefacts.

In my own case, when it came to choosing a spiritual pathway that would coincide with my emotional and hereditary leanings I asked three questions of my researches - did the pathway insist it was the only way - did it cause divisions in families and relationships - did it work.

That last one of course is personal and based on opinion and can change radically from person to person - hence ask 100 pagans what paganism is and you get 110 replies. On my website I make it more personal and say ' I can't prove that I am right but neither can you prove I am wrong'

I found Druidry to be the pathway that most consistently gave me satisfaction and still study and develop my approach to it. Although my opinions differ from most organised groups I have a couple of friends who are of a similar mind and therefore we have companionship for observing the seasons changes and giving thanks to Mother Earth.

Although I am hopeful this short outburst of personal information will lead to further communication, I feel it is necessary to leave it at this point, except to say I have formed an image of my preferred view of diversity in spiritual pathways - using a very common symbol that of a spoked wheel - I see diversity as the spokes of a wheel - with each pathway on a spoke but leading to the centre - the nearer we get to the innermost core of the concepts the closer they get and the similarities become apparent, and in a perfect world would lead to confluence - if the image of this idea is instead parallel lines, however similar the lines (pathways) may be, by definition parallel lines will never meet.

Thank you for reading

Gwydion

Cathy
Benitoite
Benitoite
Re: How did I get to this point in my life

Post by Cathy »

gwydion wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:28 am
In my own case, when it came to choosing a spiritual pathway that would coincide with my emotional and hereditary leanings I asked three questions of my researches - did the pathway insist it was the only way - did it cause divisions in families and relationships - did it work.
This is certainly what I will use in the future, thank you for this.

gwydion
Poudretteite
Poudretteite

Post by gwydion »

I am honoured - thank you

Gwydion

Paula
Moderators
Moderators

Post by Paula »

The beauty of my chosen path is that it leads me to fulfilment.
And, furthermore, because there really is no wrong or right pathway for the individual, I can do whatever I feel like doing as long as I don't affect anyone else in a negative way.

There is too much stress in modern day living possibly because of rules imposed upon us by control freaks.
Getting rid of that sort of stress was always my aim and I went for it years ago, now I couldn't be happier with my chosen path.

Good post Gwydion, I look forward to reading more of your posts :fairy:

Gordon
Poudretteite
Poudretteite

Post by Gordon »

I never ask myself this question because I knew years ago which path was right for me :P

Crystal
Benitoite
Benitoite

Post by Crystal »

Gordon wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:02 pm I never ask myself this question because I knew years ago which path was right for me :P
Me too for a long time, however, lately I have been questioning a lot of things.
I am still comfortable on my chosen path but I have noticed other people going off on a tangent like friends and relatives.
I am thinking that nowadays there is a massive gap between us which I never really noticed before.

Sky Fall
Musgravite
Musgravite

Post by Sky Fall »

Gordon wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:02 pm I never ask myself this question because I knew years ago which path was right for me :P
I must admit that I am comfortable even though some people have no idea and think weird things about my life, but why should they?

Gordon
Poudretteite
Poudretteite

Post by Gordon »

Crystal wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:58 am
I am thinking that nowadays there is a massive gap between us which I never really noticed before.
As long as your friends are understanding then there's no problem.
I bet that they would follow you in your path if they could ;)

Sky Fall
Musgravite
Musgravite

Post by Sky Fall »

Gordon wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:56 pm
I bet that they would follow you in your path if they could ;)
Some would without a doubt but they seem to need to conform with what is considered "the norm", whatever that is.

Earth Man
Poudretteite
Poudretteite

Post by Earth Man »

Sky Fall wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:21 am
Some would without a doubt but they seem to need to conform with what is considered "the norm", whatever that is.
What WE want it to be ;)